This Gal Friday





These portraits of the lovely burlesque performer Gal Friday were photographed at the Slipper Room as part of an ongoing series on the Luscious Ladies of Bump and Grind (totally unofficial title folks).  They like to dance around, and I like to take the pretty pictures. 

My artistic challenge with making portraits of performers is to try to bring out more than the standard poses.  Those have a place - pinups poses can be lovely and stylized - but my favorite are the "in between" moments.   I find myself wanting to try to bring out that feeling of backstage after the show, circa 1933.  A little rough around the edges is fine with me.  I have always loved reportage and formal portraiture equally, and The Urge that flows back and forth between them never seems to get resolved.  Thank god.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin